Alice for Windows 5.40
quick start for those people who hate to read manuals
- Set Windows to use English (Australian) in
Settings, Control Panel, Regional Settings and all
- Add FILES=250 to C:\CONFIG.SYS (Windows 9x) or
C:\winnt\system32\CONFIG.NT (Windows NT/2000) or
add PerVMfiles=230 to [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI
- Create a drive letter mapping L: to a shared
directory on the server named Alice$. Grant Full
rights to Librarian users and Read Only
rights to Inquiry only users.
- If upgrading an OASIS Library system, copy
\OASIS\LOASIS\*.D into L:\OASIS\LOASIS.
- Have a set of floppy disks for external backup.
Standard colours are: Pink, Purple, Green, Blue,
Yellow, Black OR Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Yellow,
Black. The colours can be changed by editing
Bkpcolrs.bat. You will require roughly one disk per 10Mb
of .D files to be backed up. Very large libraries should
install a ZIP drive.
- Have the AfW registration details available.
- Insert the AfW 5.40 CDROM in the CD Drive. If it
doesnt Autostart, run D:\SETUP.EXE
- Next, Products, AFW 5.4, Next Yes, Next,
- IF New AfW installation: Install a New AfW System,
- ELSE Upgrade an existing System, Other Directory,
- Site name: Library, (English/Australia), Next,
(Components: Leave blank), Next, (Default data
set: none), Next, Next.
- (Copying Files), Finish.
- Enter Registration details EXACTLY as they have
been provided. Case maters, spaces matter. Forward
- Enter: Library Name, Library Code (the
suffix on your barcodes), Forward.
- Language: Select English (Australian), Forward
- Wait while the Initial archive is processed. Finish.
- Enter the User ID and Password: MA / MASTER. No
old passwords are transferred
- Machine Name: Shutdown (Give each station a
meaningful unique name)
- Insert CEO Support files CDROM in the CD Drive. If
it does not Autostart double click on D:\ AfW Support
files and Manuals.htm.
- Double click on the link AfW
SOE5.40 to apply Standard Operating
Environment files. OK, Unzip, OK. Close.
- Double click on the link AfW Backup to install the
Floppy disk backup procedures into
L:\OASIS\BACKUP. OK, OK, Unzip, OK, Close. Edit
Alicebkp.bat if the destination drive is not A: or other
than 2 floppy disks will be used per backup.
- Login to AfW and force a Data backup, System,
Parameters, Shutdown: Force Data Archive. Logout,
Click green tick at Waiting for Shutdown to
start Shutdown (and data archive) immediately.
- Drag Shortcuts to AFW.EXE (AfW Management),
AFWOPAC.EXE (Inquiry), BACKUP\AliceBKP.BAT onto desktop.
- Execute the External Backup icon to make an external
backup to floppy disk.