Loading Borrower Records Into Alice from SAS
1. BACKUP ALICE and make sure the backup was successful.
2. Ensure that all existing student borrowers have a Student Code that matches their Student ID in SAS (see Circulation, File, Borrower). This will be the case if borrowers have been loaded previously from SAS.
If existing Alice Borrowers DO NOT have SAS Student IDs entered, either enter them by hand or perform Step 3 below to automatically update SAS student IDs into Alice.
3. Create a ‘phantom’ scholastic year ‘LEFT’ (if one does not already exist).
Circulation, File, Scholastic Year, Add, LF – Left, Save
Performing the Borrower Update
Move ALL students into the ‘phantom’
Scholastic Year named ‘LEFT’.
Circulation, Global Change, Scholastic Year, Change one student scholastic year:
Repeat for all other scholastic years until all students are in the Scholastic Year ‘LEFT’
Note: The Borrower Import step below will change the Scholastic Year of any students who are still attending back to their correct year. Students who have left the school with outstanding loans will remain grouped together in the Scholastic Year ‘LEFT’.
Student data from SAS
Maintenance, Export, Student Alice.
- Blank if you want Alice to allocate borrower barcodes in the format B00001 9999
- Student Code if you want the borrower barcode to be the same as the SAS Student Code e.g. 873456
Note: Do NOT untick any fields as this will cause any following fields to be loaded into the wrong place in Alice.
Save the file to a USB thumb drive
or a network drive with the name Student.txt
Note: Leave the file export format as CSV. Do NOT change it to Text.
The data in the file should look
"02026",,"Hood","Martin","M","6","6D","",,,19960426,"9","Simpson Place","Simpson","NSW","","2999","99999999","02026","Mr & Mrs Hood",,"","",""
3. Automatically update SAS Student IDs into Alice
If you are sure that every student has their SAS Student ID already stored in Alice, you can skip this step.
If SAS Student IDs have NOT been entered into Alice borrower records, you MUST PERFORM this step. If you don’t, then all existing borrowers will have a second borrower record created in Alice.
Follow this link for details: Check Alice Borrowers
4. Import Student Data into Alice
System, Data Loading, Borrower.
· Select the file exported from SAS, Student.txt by clicking on the yellow folder icon.
· Select other options as shown above.
· Click the Green Tick to pre-load the borrower data.
· Do an AfW Shutdown to actually load the borrower records and archive the changes.
· Review the newly added borrower records using Circulation, File, Borrower.
· Establish Loan Limits for the new borrowers using Circulation, Global Change, Limits or by editing each borrower record individually.
· If necessary, change Borrower Loan Category using Circulation, Global Change, Loan Category.
Refer to this page if you experience any problems.
Last Updated: 5 February 2013